Emma Hunt (UKCP accred. & BACP reg.)
Experienced Therapist offering private Counselling and Psychotherapy in North Shields.
I offer a warm, non-judgemental counselling approach so together we can explore your issues and help you to feel better.
I am currently offering in-person sessions, video counselling and telephone counselling.
Click here for Workplace counselling in Schools
Engaging with therapy can feel daunting - it might be something you never imagined yourself having to do. But if you are on this website, you have already taken the first big step in recognising that you need to talk to someone - that you need to start to look after yourself.
I run North Vista Therapy service - based in North Shields and Tynemouth. I see private Adult clients Monday to Friday and Saturday afternoons. I also run a specialist Workplace counselling service throughout Newcastle, Tyneside and Northumberland. I either see employees at their place of work or at my offices in Tynemouth and North Shields.
Reasons why you might need help
Do you find yourself putting on a cheerful façade to the outside world, pretending to be OK: when inside you are silently suffering, secretly coping with unwanted thoughts and feelings?
It might be that you feel you 'should' be grateful for what you have in your life, but in actual fact you feel empty, guilty or lonely.
You may feel as though you are holding it together for everyone else - your family, your job, your friends - but inside, you are in need of help yourself.
You may be constantly reliving a distressing time from your past. You may feel held back by things that happened when you were younger.
I am an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist who can help you with strategies to address and manage whatever difficulty you face.
The areas I can help you manage include:
- States of anxiety, stress, depression, no motivation for life
- Difficulties at work or in a relationship
- Unable to find a partner
- Feeling disconnected with yourself or friends and family
- Life changes - such as a new baby, bereavement, a loss, a divorce or an illness
- Feeling caught in the same behaviour patterns - doing the same thing over and over but feeling powerless to stop this
- Feeling 'stuck' or 'trapped'
- Feeling held back by experiences from your past
- Low confidence and self-esteem
- An unhelpful relationship with alcohol
- Feelings of loneliness and isolation
This is where counselling and psychotherapy can be invaluable
What you can expect from our counselling sessions
For a number of years, I ran the counselling service for a city council in Tyne and Wear. During that time, I treated hundreds of clients with many different reasons for coming to counselling. I am certain that whatever it is that is troubling you, talking therapy can help.
Knowing that you have a weekly or fortnightly appointment - a space to offload and untangle anything that has arisen or has occupied your mind since the last session - can make a world of difference to relationships at home and at work.
I provide both short term counselling (four to six sessions) and longer term more in depth psychotherapy.
I can help you to:
- Express your inner most feelings of sadness, guilt, anger or fear
- Find ways to improve your poor sleep; low self-esteem; your lack of energy and motivation; your anxious thoughts and panic; your burn-out
- Work through long held memories and feelings relating to your past
- Develop a greater understanding of yourself so that you can find different ways of dealing with painful situations you are experiencing today
- Gain the courage and strategies to make different choices in your life
- Come to terms and find peace surrounding the loss of a loved one or the loss of a hope for the future
I also believe it is important to notice what strengths we do have and I encourage my clients to acknowledge what natural abilities they do possess to cope with life's challenges and difficulties. Many of us never look back at how far we have come and what we have achieved to get to where we are today.
Where sessions are held
My counselling practice is conveniently located next to Northumberland Square in North Shields. I have an additional counselling room within a private Victorian residence in Tynemouth. Both are within easy reach of Newcastle by car and public transport and have free parking near by.
My therapeutic counselling approach
I can work with you on an open-ended basis or for an agreed time period.
I work as an Integrative counsellor and psychotherapist - this means that I use a range of different approaches to help my clients. For example:
- CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) techniques
- Self-help strategies
- Creative techniques such as Sand-tray therapy
- Guided imagery and metaphor
- Attachment theory
- Transactional analysis therapy
We will discuss what you feel comfortable with during our first session.
My background in counselling:
For a number of years, I managed the counselling function for a city council in Tyne and Wear. During that time I directly provided counselling to over 500 people working in education, social services and corporate departments. Before this, I worked as a psychotherapist at a Women's charity in Northumberland and also as a psychotherapist and counsellor within Newcastle and the NHS.
I am accredited with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and I am also registered with the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP).If you have any questions or if you would like to book your first session,
please call or text me on 07974 934 661
You can also email me